The W8 is the entry level floorstanding loudspeaker from Boenicke Audio.
As with the W5 the W8 is a very compact design, perfect for the typical UK living room where space can often be at a premium.
The W8 has an internal volume of around 15L and as with all the Boenicke speakers the cabinets are intricately CNC milled from 2 solid pieces of wood, with the clever internal chamber helping to shape the performance of the speaker.
The cabinet is 776mm tall, 114mm wide and 260mm deep, each cabinet weighs in at a sensible 10Kg
With sensitivity rated at 86dB and a 4 ohm impedance it’s a relatively inefficient speaker so you need a good quality amplifier to hear the W8 at its best.
They feature a 6.5 inch long throw bass driver on the side of the cabinet which is tuned to 28Hz.
The bass/mid-range driver is a 4 inch custom made paper cone with a 1st order low pass filter and no high pass filter, it features an apple tree phase plug and a maple wood cone mounted to the magnet.
There is a 3 inch widebander with a 1st order high pass filter and a unique 8-cm electromechanical parallel spiral resonator installed.
There is also an ambient tweeter mounted on the rear of the cabinet.
The binding posts are high quality WBT NextGen and will accept 4mm plugs or spades.
Build quality is quite exceptional, solid wood cabinets as mentioned above, all horizontal lines are rounded and all vertical lines are sharp.
They are available in a choice of woods – Oak Pure, Oak Natural, Oak Pigmented White, Oak Pigmented Black, Core Ash, Ash Pigmented White and American Walnut and Cherry (these last 2 finishes are a cost option). Please see the colour swatch for a better idea of finishes.
As with each speaker in the Boenicke range there are 3 different versions of the W8 available. There is the standard version (£6995.00), the SE version (£11150) and the SE+ version (£14975). Moving from the standard W8 to the SE version you get a number of internal improvements to the speaker and moving from the SE to the SE+ gets you even more. It’s not a small jump in terms of cost between the different versions but thankfully there is a quite a substantial jump in performance as well! Going from W8 to W8SE+ is like going to a completely different speaker.
The SE version of the W8 has
- 16-cm parallel resonator at widebander
- Added 16-cm parallel resonator to bass-midrange driver
- Added latest generation Bybee Quantum Purifiers
- Added proprietary phase linearization network
- Added Duelund Tinned Copper Foil 0.01 uF bypass capacitor
- Swing Base included
The SE+ version of the W8 has
- 16-cm spiral resonator installed at widebander and bass-midrange driver both parallel and in series
- Added Steinmusic Speaker Match Signature
- Added Harmonix Tuning Bases to widebander
- Mundorf Silver Gold Oil main capacitor for widebander with Duelund Tinned Copper Foil 0.01 uF bypass capacitor
- Mundorf Silver Gold Oil capacitor for rear tweeter
- Swing Base included