- Please Get in Touch for Pricing
- Most Popular VTL Power Amp
- Ideal Partnered with TL5.5 Preamp
- 4 x 6550 Tubes per Channel
VTL ST150 Stereo Power Amplifier
The ST150 is the most popular stereo power amplifier in the range and for good reason, with 150 watts per channel (in tetrode mode) this power amp has the ability to drive and control a much wider range of larger and more demanding speakers compared to the ST85.
Using 6550 tubes, it sounds sweet, fast, articulate and dynamic. When pushed it never hardens up or becomes aggressive in nature it just keeps on delivering that traditional sweet, seductive VTL sound.
I’ve a couple of customers with big systems with an ST150 at the heart of them doing sterling service, it really is a tremendously musical amplifier. In tetrode mode it can play loud and it seems to relish the challenge. In triode mode it becomes less efficient as power drops to around 70 watts, but if you have a small, sensitive pair of speakers and you favour jazz and simple vocals it delivers a sweetness which is hard to beat.
The rear panel is the same as the ST85 with RCA inputs, a pair of conventional binding posts (that accept both spades and 4mm plugs), and a switch to alternate between tetrode and triode.
The ST150 comes supplied with 6550 valves as standard. (KT88 which are sonically a bit more rounded and warmer sounding are an option at the point of purchase for an additional £200)
VTL Tetrode-Triode Switching Capability
The VTL range of power amplifiers offer a unique feature that makes them even more flexible: On-the-spot switching between tetrode and triode modes of operation that is easy to reach and user switchable.
At lower volume levels, and with efficient speakers, the sound of the triode mode offers a level of delicacy, liquidity, and sweetness to vocals, chamber and jazz instrumental quartets and solo instruments with 3-D imaging in the mid-range that will get you even closer to the real event.
Tetrode mode offers the detail, soundstage width and depth, and weight to the music that on large-scale orchestral or big band will transport you to the concert hall with all the visceral power and detail rendition of your favorite music.
- High energy storage power supply >200 joules
- VTL proprietary output transformer
- Very low-noise floor with specially designed grounding scheme
- Tetrode/Triode Switchable
- 150 watts per channel in tetrode
- 70 watts per channel in triode
- 4 6550 tubes per channel with individual bias setting for each tube
- Audiophile grade film and foil caps used in the signal path
- Extruded aluminum front panel with luxurious, modern look — black and silver options available
Ken Kessler – Hi Fi News Magazine (ST150 Review)
120 Watts per channel in tetrode, 60 Watts per channel in triode
8 x 6550, 2 x 12AT7, 2 x 12BH7
W x D x H 480 x 300 x 230 mm